Genetics is the science of study of variations. Medical Genetics is all about it's application in medicine. This field has grown so enormously in last decade that now it does not belong to any speciality in particular. In fact, it's application are more by biotech companies and researchers. Combination with information technology has given a new dimension to Genetics. Routine cytogenetics, DNA diagnostics are being replaced by micro-arrays, computational genomics and nano-biotechnology models.
Here I have compiled some information for my Pediatrician colleagues.
A. Important Centers in India
1. Sanjay Gandhi PG Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow (SGPGIMS). They are also having a newsletter Genetic Clinics, a newsletter of Genetics Chapter of IAP available by sending an email at email@example.com
2. Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, Genetic Medicine. Dr I C Verma, pioneer in the field of Clinical Genetics in India, has shown great optimism in a career in Genetics.
3. CCMB Hyderabad is also involved actively in Genomic research. The Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) is an autonomous organization funded by the Department of Biotechnology and is involved in DNA fingerprinting.
4. Institutes like PGIMER, Chandigarh, ICMR institute at Parel, Mumbai, Osmania Univeristy Hyderabad, KEM hospital, Mumbai are also doing Genetic studies.
5. Upcoming Institutes like SAIMS Medical College at Indore is also not behind in this direction. Already started work on molecular markers in histopathology specimens.
B. Useful links.
1. Information for Genetic Professionals at KUMC
2. Hardin.MD, University of Iowa page (Iowa, Genetic disorders)
3. Scitable from Nature Group. Scitable from Nature Publishing Group was created for faculty and students alike in Biology, Genetics, and other related fields. Scitable, which currently focuses exclusively on the field of genetics, is built on a free library of overviews of key science concepts compiled by the trusted editorial staff of Nature Publishing Group. It incorporate evidence-based approach to explain science through the lens of the scientific method, with frequent links to milestone research papers. A very good resource for all health professionals
4.Genetests now moved to NCBI. This is a very good resource for clinicians and geneticists alike.
5. A site created by me for Medical Genetics Online
6. American Society of Human Genetics resources for Health care Provide . A very informative site.
Dr Kuldeep: Last updated 8th Januray 2014